DUBLIN–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The “Market Spotlight: Osteoarthritis” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
This Market Spotlight report covers the Osteoarthritis market, comprising key pipeline and marketed drugs, clinical trials, upcoming and regulatory events, patent information, a 10-year disease prevalence forecast, and licensing and acquisition deals, as well as presenting drug-specific revenue forecasts.
- The author estimates that in 2016, there were 301.6 million prevalent cases of osteoarthritis (knee or hip) in adults aged 30 years and older worldwide, and forecasts that number to increase to 352.2 million prevalent cases by 2025.
- The global prevalence of osteoarthritis is estimated to be 8.2%. Approved drugs in the osteoarthritis space focus on a wide variety of targets. The approved therapies are commonly administered via the oral route, with a few products being available in topical, intraarticular, and transdermal formulations.
- The majority of industry-sponsored drugs in active clinical development for osteoarthritis are in Phase II. Therapies in mid- and late-stage development for osteoarthritis focus on a wide variety of targets. These drugs are administered via various routes, including oral, transdermal, subcutaneous, intraarticular, intravenous, and subcutaneous administration.
- High impact upcoming events for drugs in the osteoarthritis space comprise topline Phase II and Phase III trial results, and an expected regulatory meeting with the FDA.
- There have been 41 licensing and asset acquisition deals involving osteoarthritis drugs during 2013-18. The largest deal was the $454m license agreement between Novartis and XOMA in August 2017, pursuant to which Novartis was granted a worldwide, exclusive, royalty-bearing license to XOMA’s gevokizumab program.
- The distribution of clinical trials across Phase I-IV indicates that the majority of trials for osteoarthritis have been in the early and mid-phases of development, with 57% of trials in Phase I-II, and 43% in Phase III-IV.
- The US has a substantial lead in the number of osteoarthritis clinical trials globally. The UK leads the major EU markets, while South Korea has the top spot in Asia.
- Pfizer has the highest number of completed clinical trials for osteoarthritis with 106 trials, and also leads industry sponsors with the highest number of total clinical trials for osteoarthritis, followed by Merck & Co and Sanofi.
- Merck & Co
- Limited Japan
Approvals by country
KEY UPCOMING EVENTS
KEY REGULATORY EVENTS
Nature Cell Keeps Hopes Up For JointStem Despite Conditional Approval Rejection
First Approval For Kolon’s Invossa But No Disease-Modifying Status
Limited Japan Nod For Cytori’s Osteoarthritis Cell Therapy
LICENSING AND ASSET ACQUISITION DEALS
Osteoarthritis Stem Cell Therapy Could Be On Sale In India By 2020
Flexion Gets Osteoarthritis Gene Therapy From GeneQuine
Mitsubishi Seeks To Revoke Kolon Gene Therapy Deal But Damage Limited?
CLINICAL TRIAL LANDSCAPE
Sponsors by status
Sponsors by phase
LIST OF FIGURES
Figure 1: Trends in prevalent cases of osteoarthritis (knee or hip), 2016-25
Figure 2: Pipeline drugs for osteoarthritis in the US
Figure 3: Pipeline drugs for osteoarthritis, by company
Figure 4: Pipeline drugs for osteoarthritis, by drug type
Figure 5: Pipeline drugs for osteoarthritis, by classifications
Figure 6: Key upcoming events in osteoarthritis
Figure 7: Licensing and asset acquisition deals in disease name, 2013-18
Figure 8: Parent patents in osteoarthritis
Figure 9: Clinical trials in osteoarthritis
Figure 10: Top 10 drugs for clinical trials in osteoarthritis
Figure 11: Top 10 companies for clinical trials in osteoarthritis
Figure 12: Trial locations in osteoarthritis
Figure 13: Osteoarthritis trial status
Figure 14: Osteoarthritis trial sponsors, by phase
LIST OF TABLES
Table 1: Prevalent cases of osteoarthritis (knee or hip), 2016-25
Table 2: Marketed drugs for osteoarthritis
Table 3: Approvals by country for osteoarthritis
Table 4: Pipeline drugs for osteoarthritis in the US
Table 5: Historical global sales, by drug ($m), 2012-17
Table 6: Forecasted global sales, by drug ($m), 2018-22
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/q6wr0a
Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
Related Topics: Musculoskeletal Disorders Drugs